For my trip, I kept a running tally of all of my expenses accrued out of curiosity what the average backpacker's budget would look like. The numbers are below, for a total expenditure of $2458 (including airfare) for travel from Jan 19th to March 3rd. This number is verified within +/- 0.5%, based on comparison to expenditures from my bank account.
- Int'l Airfare: PIT->GUA, PTY->PIT.
- Theft: Money stolen at homestay and through huslers.
- Telecommunications: Total costs for cell phone service in Guatemala, and internet.
- Transportation: All buses, cars/taxis, boats, etc... within Central America, as well as border duties.
- Food: All money spent on foods or drinks, including meals but excluding modest board in Guatemala for 2 1/2 weeks.
- Tours/Entrance: All money spent on entrance fees or activities part of tourism. This includes $220 for scuba diving classes.
- Education: Cost for Spanish lessons for 2 1/2 weeks at $65/20 hour/wk, plus supplies.
- Room: All money spent on living arrangements, including homestays. This figure also includes modest board for 2 1/2 weeks in Guatemala.
- Other: All other categories, including souvenirs.